Final Fantasy Insider Contact Us    Forums   
Final Fantasy Insider Index




Final Fantasy 8
Blue Magic List
Chocobo Forest
Characters
Chocobos
Draw Points Map
Gameplay
GameShark Codes
Guardian Forces
Item List
Junction System
Limit Breaks
Magic Translation
Pocketstation
Rare Cards Location
Special Magazines
SeeD Mission
SeeD's Salary
SeeD Test Answers
Timber Maniacs
Tips and Hints
The Triple Triad
Triple Triad Hints
Ultimecia Guide
Vehicles
Walkthrough
Weapon List
Worldmap
Media
Animated GIFs
Eyes on Me Lyric
Liberi Fatali Lyric
Screenshots
  Page 1
  Page 2
  Page 3
Wallpapers
Share
Coverage
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV
Chrono Trigger
Dirge of Cerberus
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Advent Children
Final Fantasy Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Last Order
Final Fantasy Revenant Wings
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts BBS
The Spirits Within
Play-Asia.com - Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions
Final Fantasy VIII The Triple Triad

The Triple Triad
Triple Triad is Final Fantasy VIII's Challenging Card Game. This is a mini-game like none you've ever seen. Throughout the course of the game, you can collect special cards based on the minor enemies, Bosses, GFs, and major characters from Final Fantasy VIII. With your deck, you can challenge almost anyone to a game of card. What are the benefits? Using the card mod ability, you can refine the cards you've won into valuable and rare items.

How Do I Play?
First, you need a good starting deck and you can get one from a person in Balamb Garden at the start of the game. The Cards aren't that great, but they are better than nothing at all.

Challenge People
Challenging people to a card game is easy. Approach a person in normal fashion and press the SQUARE button. If the person is a card player they'll most likely to accept your challenge. If not, they'll converse with you normally.

When to Play Card Game?
If you've been given an assignment, it is best to wait to play cards on your own free time. The Garden looks down on SeeDs that goof off while assignments. There's no such thing as too many of one card. If nothing else, use the Card Mod Ability to turn your extra into items and sell them for Gil.

Basic Strategy
The Biggest Challenge Triple Triad presents is the always-changing set of rules. So, while it may seem like a good idea to always play your best hand, many times this is not the case.

When the rules are basic (Same, Open, Sudden Death and Elemental), all you need are strong cards to win. You can simple over-power your opponent by playing cards that he/she simply cannot beat. However, if some of the more advanced rules (Plus, Same Wall, and Random) are in effect, it's best to back off a bit and try to win the game through strategy, rather than brute force.

Always play defensively. There's no reason to take each card your opponent plays. Play a waiting game with your opponent and plan ahead. Let your opponent trap his/her own cards, and then force certain moves by strategically placing your cards.

Corners typically offers the best defense, while the center spot is obviously the worst. in some cases, though, you may find it beneficial to play a card in the center at the start of the match to limit your opponent's option. This works well against tougher opponents.

Try not to spread the Random Rules-It's a killer. And although Open may seem like the best rule in the game, your opponent gain as much from it as you do. Skilled opponents may gain too much from being able to see your hand.

Card-Related Side Quest

There are three card-related Side Quests: The Queen of Cards, the CC Groups, and the Alien Encounter.

CC Group
The CC Group is a group of seven elite card players in Balamb Garden. If you can beat them all, you can get some good cards. This becomes available in Disc 3. You must challenge them from the lowest ranking up to the highest.

#1: Jack Is in the hallway near the directory. Has no rare cards.
#2: Club In the hallway near entrance to cafeteria. Appears randomly and not often. Has no rare cards.
#3: Diamond In front of directory. Diamond is actually a pair of female SeeD cadets. They have no rare cards.
#4: Spade On floor 2F next to elevator. Spade is one of the two people that usually hang out on this floor. Has no rare cards.
#5: Heart On the bridge. Heart is actually Xu! She has the Carbuncle card.
#6: Joker Inside the Training Center. Appears randomly and not easy to find. Has Leviathan card.
#7: King To find King, speak with Nida on the bridge, then visit the Infirmary and challenge Dr. Kadowski to a game. Kadowski hints about King. Return to your dorm room and King will appear in the room. King has the Gilgamesh card.

More Info: To start challenging the CC Group, you must first build up your reputation in Balamb Garden as a card player. To do so you may have to win about 15 games around Garden.

Queen of Cards

The Queen of Cards is located in the town of Balamb, near the train station. In order to win the rare cards listed above as "Acquirable in Queen of Cards quest", you must lose (or win) a rare card (level 8 or above) to/from her. Once then, you can speak to her again to get a hint of her next destination, which can be at eight places: Balamb, Shumi Village, Dollet, Deling City, Winhill, Esthar, Fisherman's Horizon and Lunar Gate. Her first destination is Dollet. Speak with her normally (not a card gam challenge) and choose the fourth option; "About your artist father,". When you choose this option she requests a card from you. The first card requested will be MiniMog. Lose MiniMog to her in a game. This enables her artist father to create a new card that you can win elsewhere. When you give the queen the card she requested, she moves to a different region. You must chase her around the world until she goes back to Dollet and you can repeat the process. This must be done five times to get all the cards.

The rare cards you lose to her: can be won back from her little brother in Dollet.

Where the Card Queen Travels

If the Queen says...
Galbadia: Galbadia Hotel in Deling City.
FH: On the train tracks at Fisherman's Horizon.
Esthar: The Presidential Palace at Esthar.
Trabia: The hotel at Shumi Village.
Centra: The hotel at Winhill.
Dollet: The Pub at Dollet.
Balamb: Balamb Station in Balamb.
Far Away: Lunar Gate's Concourse Area.

Present Location/Will Move to...
If she is in Balamb she will move to Dollet (37.5% chance) or Deling City (62.5%).
Deling City Balamb (12.5%), Dollet (12.5%), Winhill (12.5%), FH (62.5%).
Dollet Balamb (37.5%), Deling City (62.5%).
Shumi Village Balamb (25%), Dollet (50%), Lunar Gate (25%).
Winhill Deling City (37.5%), Dollet (37.5%), FH (25%).
FH Dollet (12.5%), Winhill (25%), Esthar (62.5%).
Esthar Dollet (12.5%), Shumi Village (25%), FH (12.5%), Lunar Gate (50%).
Lunar Gate Random area, plus she gives no hint.

Card Given/Card Created/Where to find New Card
MiniMog Kiros is created: Found in Deling City by the man in white across from Junk Shop.
Sacred Irvine is created, find in FH; win from Flo (Mayor Dobe's wife).
Doomtrain Phoenix is created; win in Esthar from the blue Presidential Assistant in the Presidential Palace.
Chicobo Chubby Chocobo is created; win in Balamb Garden from student sitting on bench outside library.
Alexander Doomtrain is created; win in Timber from the Pub's owner.





Advertisement


eXTReMe Tracker
©Copyright 2005-2012 Final Fantasy Insider. All rights reserved. [Top]